Today, most people would like to consume foods that are good for health, and a great means of achieving this is by consuming poultry. There are quite a few handy hints on cooking chicken that can be of use to you while cooking and at the same time ensure your family is eating healthy.
Some of the popular tips on cooking chicken are furnished below.
1.Always ensure to thoroughly clean your hands, cutting board and knife in piping hot sudsy water after handling raw poultry.
2. On no account should you utilize the very same cutting board and utensils for other food items unless you have meticulously washed them before and after using them. This fully puts a stop to any cross contamination.
3. Always see to it that the marinated poultry is kept in the refrigerator. By no means keep it exposed to the outside air.
4. Marinade applied to poultry should not be used for basting.
5. In the event that the marinade is intended to form the sauce base, make certain that it is boiled for a couple of minutes.
6. In no way place the poultry that is cooked on the very same dish that was earlier used to carry the raw poultry. This yet again, ensures there is no cross contamination.
Following are a few hints on storing poultry.
7. Always remember that fresh poultry is highly prone to rot quickly. You should never keep it outside in the open. Instead, once you bring the poultry home from the shop, enfold it in a plastic wrap, and keep it in that part of the refrigerator that is the coldest. Make sure that you consume it within a day or two. If this is ruled out, then use a freezer bag to store the poultry. Keep it frozen for a good 3 months. At all times ensure that livers and giblets are not frozen together with the whole bird but stored separately.
8. Poultry that is fully cooked can be kept frozen. Then again, make certain that poultry preparations that include hard-boiled eggs and mayonnaise are not frozen.
9. Permit small preparations of poultry to totally cool down prior to covering them in a plastic wrap and storing them in the deep freeze. On the other hand, cool larger poultry dishes in the refrigerator itself before sealing and freezing them.
10. By no means freeze poultry that is stuffed.
A number of the key cooking chicken hints entail the right defrosting of poultry.
11. It is very vital to see that the poultry has suitably defrosted and then cooked. Let it defrost in the refrigerator itself, where it is placed in a plastic wrap. You can put it on a serving dish to prevent any dripping as it defrosts.
12. In case defrosting the chicken inside the refrigerator is out of the question due to lack of time, you have two options to choose from. For express defrosting, you can place the chicken in a waterproof wrap and then immerse in ice-cold water. Keep changing the water as often as possible to speed up the thawing process. Birds that are small need about a couple of hours to thaw completely.
13. The other option is to store the chicken in its original cover and deposit it in a bulky paper bag. Fasten the bag tightly and put it in a cool place. You will be required to inspect it at regular intervals, and the moment the chicken is defrosted, it should be cooked at once.
For more useful hints on cooking chicken, you can browse online or refer to excellent cookery books.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at G&O
G&O will celebrate Cinco de Mayo with $5 Paloma cocktails all day and $5 Pulled Chicken Nachos (Chihuahua Cheese, Avocado, Pico de Gallo, Sriracha Cream) for $5 while supplies last.