Do you ever consider the kinds of cleaners you have in your home? Do you know that you most probably have more chemicals in your home today than would have been in a laboratory not that long ago?
If you are like I was before I learned some of these terrible truths, you are likely reading this and thinking “Our house is not like that”. Perhaps not, but consider this:
In the National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s biennial study of Americans’ exposure levels to 148 chemicals, it found 93% of the 2,400 people studied showed traces of bisphenol A in their blood and urine and 95% of those studied showed traces of phthalates.
Bisphenol is shown to cause reproductive and neurological effects in animals and an initial study on humans suggests that it is “significantly linked” to several diseases. Phthalates have been linked to asthma and birth defects.
Another staggering fact that you have most likely noticed yourself is that most typical household cleaners “outgas”. Ever walk down the cleaning products aisle at your favorite grocery or discount store and smell the chemicals from those supposedly sealed bottles? For some people, their eyes burn and they cough. Consider the air volume of a typical grocery store compared to your kitchen. If your home includes an air conditioner, you probably open up your windows and doors very infrequently. Where do you think those harmful vapors are going? If you answered, into your lungs to be absorbed, you are correct. The EPA has reported to the Congress that they consider indoor air pollution to be one of the most important environmental health problems.
What is worse is that children are especially susceptible to these kinds toxin filled vapors because they are smaller in size and growing which means that they are breathing much more often than an adult relative to their size. Additionally, most younger children are at home more when they are the most vulnerable. The significance of this problem cannot be overstated.
Perhaps the most troubling aspect of this is that it is completely preventable. Just by taking the time to educate yourself about safer, natural alternatives you could reduce if not completely eliminate the risk from your home which will lead to a healthier you and healthier family. Is it a difficult decision? I certainly do not think so when you are armed with the facts.