Despite the seemingly endless messages exhorting us to live and eat a little more healthily, finding the right mix of healthy foods and those we enjoy can be difficult. The good news is that we don’t have to cut out all the tasty foods we like; instead we have to find the right balance and only eat them in moderation.
If you are unsure of how much of a food type you should be eating then follow this as a guide. We should be eating:
• Plenty of products containing starch, such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Opt for wholegrain where it is available as this is healthier.
• Plenty of fruit and vegetables. We have all heard of the five-a-day rule and you should try and stick to this where possible.
• Some milk and dairy foods are good for you, in moderation.
• Regular servings of beans, meat, eggs and fish help you get the protein you require.
• Only a small amount of food and drinks that are high in fat, sugar and salt is advised.
Eating well and exercising are things we should all be doing but it may not be as easy as it sounds. If you are not used to exercising then you need to start off slowly and build up the intensity of your activity. Walking or cycling to work instead of driving could be a good first step if practical, otherwise trying to get active by at least taking a brisk walk in your lunch hour will get you on the right track. You need to do enough that will get the heart rate up and walking and biking is a great form of exercise.
The food you eat is obviously important. Oily fish is great for the heart and is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, and fish such as mackerel, sardines and pilchards are widely available in shops. Of course plenty of fruit and vegetables is an important part of any diet but remember they can be bought canned and frozen as well as enjoyed fresh – but they all count towards the widely-accepted target of five-a-day.
Many people find eating fruit boring, so the key to overcoming this is to be inventive. To get your five a day why not turn your fruit into a smoothie? These are very tasty, and any number of fruits, and vegetables, can be combined. Carrot and orange go together well, and have long been a popular choice. You can search online for more good ideas on healthier eating and for some recipes to inspire.
Making food interesting for children to look is something you can do with the best recipes that are available online. You will find all the ingredients you need in your local supermarket.