The new LED HDTV sets are great and you are going to want to get one if you take a good look at the picture. So if you are considering looking at LED technology I suggest you stay away from the big box store if you intend to exercise some restraint. They look that good!
But there are also a few warnings about the most recent technology out on the market which of course is 3D HDTV. Now, I’m not going to lie to you here. 3D is a really cool technology and it looks incredible but after hearing a few of my colleagues complain about headaches and dizziness I started to look a bit deeper. Turns out there are some warnings you may want to know about.
I’m not overly hung up over this because I plan to get a 3D TV and use it for regular Blu Ray Discs – not 3D Blu Ray. I plan to see how many reports of weakened vision and accidents from watching 3D TV first – just to be safe. Read on…
These warnings are published on Samsung literature and accompany your 3D HDTV set when unpacking your unit.
3D LED HD TV Warnings – LED TV review report from Samsung Warning Labels:
• “Children and teenagers may be more susceptible to health issues associated with viewing in 3D and should be closely supervised when viewing these images” Samsung said on its website.
• “Some viewers may experience an epileptic seizure or stroke when exposed to certain flashing images or lights contained in certain television pictures or video games.
• “If you suffer from, or have a family history of epilepsy or strokes, please consult with a medical specialist before using the 3D function” Samsung says.
• It’s not just those who are already aware they might have problems that are at risk though.
• “Even those without a personal or family history of epilepsy or stroke may have an undiagnosed condition that can cause photosensitive epileptic seizures” said Samsung.
• “Pregnant women, the elderly, sufferers of serious medical conditions, those who are sleep deprived or under the influence of alcohol should avoid utilizing the unit’s 3D functionality.
• “Viewing 3D television may also cause motion sickness, perceptual after effects, disorientation, eye strain and decreased postural stability”
• Samsung are recommending that viewers take frequent breaks from watching 3D TV in order to lessen the potential effects.
• “If your eyes show signs of fatigue or dryness or if you have any of the above symptoms, immediately discontinue use of this device and do not resume using it for at least thirty minutes after the symptoms have subsided”
Maybe I’m just psychotic but frankly I’m not real concerned about these warnings. I don’t plan to watch 3D TV all day, every day. I just want to use it when watching a movie once or twice a week at the max. My total exposure to TV is maybe 2 hours every 2 weeks. I suppose if you planned to watch the news in 3D you may (or could) experience more severe problems.
Like everything else including watching television… ALL things in moderation folks! You should not drink gallons of alcohol in one sitting and you probably should not watch 6 hours of TV everyday either.
As Americans we usually don’t know when to quit. It is estimated that the average teenager watches 4 hours of TV everyday. What a total waste of time… You can raise your kids however you like, but you are personally responsible for their ability to contribute anything useful to society. Sitting in front of the TV 4 hours a day or even 1 hour in my view is ridiculous. We need to find something useful to occupy our minds and entertain our children.
I think the above warnings are probably issued for Americans. (yes, I am an American) Now, I love American, I love this country, and I love what it was founded on. So when Samsung puts a warning in their HDTV boxes about excessive use of 3D HDTV it makes me wonder who the warning was intended for. And I think the finger is pointing at US.
Why should You get a 3D HDTV anyway?
Emerging technology indicates that the tech field is going to keep moving at a very fast clip. Even if you never used the 3D technology available on the set you purchased if you buy a 3D TV you have the capability. The prices are a bit more -but if you plan to spend a couple grand on a set whats a few hundred dollars more?
And, when you are ready to upgrade to a 3D blu Ray Player you won’t have to buy a brand new TV set. So, to me it just makes sense to plan ahead.
Get the Best Prices on Samsung LCD and LED Televisions here.