People get hurt all the time. That is true. When you turn on the television and watch the daily news, you will see accidents and other unfortunate incidents like murder, rape or mugging occurring in your area.
In case of accidents, no one really is to blame. However, the other regrettable events are carried out by desperate or immoral people who want to inflict pain on others for their own good. To stay safe as you go through life, you need to do more than take every single precaution to avoid danger; you also need self defense training.
It is understandable that there may be many who cannot enroll in classes for self defense training. However, protecting ourselves is a must. There are self defense videos all over the internet which you can order and download for a smaller amount of money than a class would entail. These also provide the very same information and self defense training that you may get in live classes. Sometimes, these self defense videos even have more comprehensive information on the subject.
Here are some tips which you can learn and use from self defense training sessions on DVD or online:
1. Be aware of everything that is going on around you. This is one of the biggest mistakes of some people who fail to protect themselves. They tend to be oblivious to the goings-on and people around them.
If you are observant enough, you will notice some of those unscrupulous looking individuals from afar. You can see that a certain area should not be entered or passed by because it is too dark or dangerous. If you notice these things and more, you are saving your neck from risky situations.
2. Resourcefulness is the key. If you cannot help but be in a risky situation, think. If you weren’t able to buy a canister of pepper spray, look for something else in your bag which you can use as a weapon. Your keys, ball point pen and even heels of shoes are sharp enough to cause bodily harm on your assailants.
3. Don’t immediately resist. Criminals expect for you fight back when they grab you. They know what to do with victims who cannot fight back. If you stop recoiling from them and just stand immobile, you may deceive them into thinking that you have given up and are willing to do what they want. Taking a moment to assess your situation can give you the clarity to effectively use your self defense power to gain freedom and get to a safe area.
4. Strike back only when you have to. The number one thing you have to realize about self defense is that it is not about ‘an eye for an eye’. If a certain degree of aggression is needed so that you can escape and ask for help, do so. But never fall to the temptation of using excessive force against an attacker. There are laws to protect them even though their intentions were to harm you.
5. Run as fast as you can. This is the best self defense tactic to utilize quickly. Simply getting away to safety is better than fighting back or becoming a hero.
Following all this useful tips you will be more secure when walking out in the streets.