Every day the news is filled with horror stories about violent crimes. We worry about ourselves, our children, our friends, and relatives. No one can guarantee your personal safety. The best thing we can do is learn some techniques on how to prevent ourselves from becoming a victim, and if we are a victim how to survive. In this article you will learn important techniques on how to prevent or survive an attack.
Awareness: Keep your eyes and ears open. Yours ears will hear what your eyes cant see. Make frequent visual scans of your surrounding area. Be aware of who and what is around you. This will not only help you, but will tell an attacker you are a confident person, not an easy victim.
Confidence: Hold your head high. Keep your spine straight and shoulders back. Always keep your hands free, not crossed in the front or in your pockets. This makes for an easy rear attach. Look at peoples faces. Predators look for victims with low self esteem. Not people who could clearly identify them.
Common Sense: Use your head. Realizing there are a lot of bad people in this world and something bad could happen to YOU. Dont have the attitude It wont happen to me. That would be your first mistake. Dont go to unfamiliar places alone, use the buddy system. Be particularly aware when you are in the dark. Lock your doors, in your car and your home. Let someone know where you are going and when you might be home.
Trust Your Instincts: We were all born with instants. If you feel there is something wrong or about to happen, there is probably a reason. Use this to your advantage to take an extra look around and listen closer. Im sure some of you have been in a situation where your mind told you one thing and your gut told you another. Listen to yourself. Its better to be over cautious then not to be at all.
Have a Plan: Be prepared to defend yourself, if you have to. You will need to be confident enough to be able to execute the plan when the time comes. In the next section you will learn 9 easy self defense techniques. Practice these with a partner or a friend. Purchase a video for more detailed instructions.
Self Defense Tactics
1. Yell FIRE: If you are to be attacked start yelling FIRE, FIRE. This draws peoples attention. If you yell for help, a lot of people just dont want to get involved. By yelling fire it could mean the people in the surrounding area could also be in danger. Use an electronic pocket whistle to draw attention.
2. Bend Down: If you are attacked from behind. Bend over and push into your attacker. The attacker will be thrown off balance and he will have to lift with his back and not his legs. Use a personal alarm to draw attention.
3. Hair Comb: Pull your arms straight up towards your head to release there hold.
4. Cupped Hand Ear: As soon as your arms are free cup you hand, swing from your elbow, and smack the ear as hard as you can. Cupping the hand causes a sock wave to penetrate deep into the ear, causing the attacker to loose equilibrium. This will affect there balance and center of gravity. Carry pepper spray & use it!!
5. Eye Jab: Use your three middle fingers slightly bent and jab the eye. Or carry a kubotan on keychain to use on pressure points.
6. Cupped Hand Groin: If your attacker approaches you from the front, start yelling fire, free your arms as quickly as possible. Cup your hand, swing from the elbow and smack the groin. This will send a sock wave through the groin up into to the stomach. This move is like taking 5 punches to the groin. Use your pepper spray!!
7. Knee Kick Groin: If your attacker is close to you and you can not free your arms use the knee kick. Just simple pull your leg back and bring your knee forward into the groin. Then follow with the cupped hand ear technique. Carry a stun gun and use it!!
8. Scoop Kick Groin: If your attacker has your arms and you are out away from him use the scoop kick. Simple kick forward towards groin, when you reach it scoop your foot back pulling the groin away from the body. This will release his grip from you.
Use your pepper spray!!
9. Bite: **Use this method only as a last resort, be aware of blood borne pathogens.** If your attacker is on top of you and you can not free your arms bite them on the neck or on the face as hard as you can. Do not release. Make them pull away from you. This should release your arms to use the cupped hand ear technique. Use your pepper spray or stun gun.
The above techniques should become second nature to you so if or when you need to defend yourself you will be prepared. Being prepared will help you become more confident and independent.
You may also consider carrying pepper spray, stun gun or even a taser. Check out all my self defense products and instructional DVDs @
**If you practice these techniques with a friend, you can use there shoulder or there leg to practice the cupped hand moves. **